Three Acid (AHA) Exfoliators


Since upping my skincare game last year, I've been converted to acid exfoliators - the 2017 equivalent to St Ives scrubs. It seems every brand from Clarins to Superdrug's own has an acid-based exfoliator on their shelves. With ingredients rarely varying, it's easy to see why budget brands like new favourite The Ordinary are becoming front-runners in this race. I have a range of price points tested here, and as a budget-skincare proponent, I think I've found a favourite that makes me (and my purse) very happy indeed. Personally, I'm a fan of AHAs (lactic, glycolic) over BHAs (salicylic) now as my skin is no longer acne prone and I'm looking for a glow over spot treatment, however if you are looking for acne-fighters, perhaps try BHAs first.

Firstly, the £££ option: Alpha H Liquid Gold, the original liquid exfoliator at £33.50. I have the mini here and it has lasted me a fairly long while with twice-weekly use so I'd argue that it's a reasonable price point (even more fair with frequent 20% off codes). This product leaves my skin a lot smoother and brighter the morning after I use it, but it's a hero for pigmentation - this cleared my acne scars around my chin and jaw fabulously. I'd definitely recommend for those with scarring or dark marks as it has worked wonders due to its glycolic acid base (AHA).

The mid-priced product is the REN Wake Wonderful Night Time Facial which I have spoken about before - I love the glow it gives me and the smoothness of my skin the day after I use it, alongside the wonderful peach scent. This one is definitely not suitable for sensitive skins, however, as there is a substantial tingle immediately after application which is noticeable even on my not-sensistive-at-all skin. I've put this at a mid-price point as, even though it is £32 full price, it is often found in beauty boxes or on sale.

Finally, my personal favourite is a new find - The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5%. I opted for the lower concentration so I could use it more frequently, and with use every-other night I have seen vast improvements in my skin texture - the bumpiness on my forehead had disappeared and my makeup applies far smoother and cleaner than before. One slight glitch is the scent - lactic acid has a very strong odour that I can only compare to rotten eggs. However, once on your face, you can't smell it! And for the price, a mere £5.50, I'm willing to put up with the smell for the savings!


I urge anyone reading to pick something up from The Ordinary - my next purchase will be one of the new foundations, but due to the waiting list of 25,000 I think I'll make a trip to the store in Spitalfields (or the new one opening in Covent Garden soon!).

- FYI ensure you use SPF after use as they make your skin more susceptible to UV rays -

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© ESP. Design by Fearne.